What better way to brighten up a rainy Saturday than with 12 fluffy rainbow cupcakes? When I saw these awesome creations over on Milk Bubble Tea, I knew I had to give them a try and I’m so glad I did!
I was up bright and early Saturday morning making these. After moving into our new home, we’ve been having lots of visitors recently and it’s always nice to offer something sweet. These went down an absolute treat!
How amazing do these look?
You’re probably thinking these are really difficult to make, but the secret is, food colouring, and lots of it!
Here’s the recipe to make 12:
For the vanilla cupcakes:
- 110g self raising flour, sifted
- 110g caster sugar, sifted
- 110g butter
- 1sp baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1sp vanilla extract
- 4 food colouring gels (I used Dr Oetker food colouring tubes in pink, green, blue and orange.)
For the buttercream icing and decoration:
- 22g icing sugar, sifted
- 110g butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Multi-coloured sprinkles
1. Preheat oven to 160°C/325°F/gas mark 3 and line a 12-hole muffin tin with cupcake cases.
2. Put all of the ingredients into a large mixing bowl (apart from the icing mix of course) and mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon until you have a light and fluffy batter.
3. Separate the vanilla cupcake mix into 4 bowls and add a different food colouring to each. Mix each one until you are happy with the colour.
4. Take it in turns to scoop each colour into the muffin holes until you have 4 different colours within each (see below for photo).
5. Bake in the oven for around 15 minutes or until they are firm yet springy when you touch them on top. Transfer to a cooling rack and leave to cool before adding the icing on top.
6. To make the buttercream icing, beat the ingredients together in a mixing bowl with a wooden spoon (if the mix looks a little heavy,add half a tsp of boiling water).
7. Add your multi-coloured sprinkles and enjoy your colourful cupcakes!