You can’t beat a scone with lots of jam and clotted cream, but last week was a savoury one for me and I decided to make cheese scones!
These were incredibly easy to make and only take around 20 minutes! You can enjoy them on their own or warmed up with lashings of butter!
Want to know how to make them? Here’s how ..
Recipe from BBC Good Food:
- 225g self raising flour
- pinch of salt
- 55g butter
- 25g grated cheddar cheese
- 150ml milk
- Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7 and lightly grease a baking tray.
- Add the flour and salt into a mixing bowl and then rub in the butter with your fingers.
- Stir in the grated cheese and add in the milk. You should get a soft dough.
- Sprinkle a little flour onto your work surface and knead the dough very lightly. Pat the dough out to a round 2cm thick size and use a 5cm cutter to stamp out a circle.
- Place your scone onto the baking tray and then lightly knead the rest of the dough and stamp out more scones until you have used it all up.
- Brush the top of the scones with a little bit of milk and transfer to the oven to bake for 12-15 minutes until well risen and golden. Leave to cool for a couple of minutes on a wire rack.