So glad it’s a bank holiday weekend! Looking forward to some time at home doing some DIY and gardening, and baking of course! I’m going to be making some cookies and a honey and almond cake to follow Sunday lunch 🙂
One of my recent bakes was my mint aero chocolate cupcakes. I made these for girls night in last weekend. I did make one big error, I forgot the peppermint extract to make the frosting minty. But never mind, they still looked good!
For this all you’ll need is:
For the cake:
85g self raising flour
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 110g caster sugar
- 110g soft butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp milk
For the mint frosting:
- 150g soft butter
- 300g icing sugar, sifted
- 1tsp peppermint extract
- couple of drops of green food paste
- Mint choc aero balls to decorate
1. Preheat your oven to 170C/325F/gas mark 3 and line a 12 hole muffin tray with cupcake cases.
2. Sift the flour, cocoa powder and sugar into a large mixing bowl or mixer. Add in the butter, eggs, baking powder and milk, and then beat until the mixture is fluffy.
3. Place heaped teaspoons of the cake batter into the cupcake cases and bake in the oven for around 20 minutes. They should feel firm and springy when touched.
4. Allow to cool on a wire rack before icing.
5. To make the icing: Beat the icing sugar and butter together until it is soft and smooth. Add in the peppermint extract and a dab of green food paste and mix again. (Remember not to put too much green food paste in, you want it to look a mint green.)
6. Scoop your icing into a piping bag and decorate the top of the cakes with a swirl. Add aero balls or chunks of aero bar on top and enjoy!