When sifting through my cookbooks the other day I decided to pick a page at random and bake whatever it landed on, that page was Honey and Almond Cake!
I love almonds, and I’m pretty sure that they are supposed to be good for you…bonus. Shame about the cake!
This tastes amazing. The drizzled syrup over the top really makes a difference as it makes the cake sticky and sweet.
The outside of my cake looked like it was on the verge of being a little burnt, so I have adapted the time below.
We had ours after Sunday roast and I served it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. It would taste lovely with custard too!
This recipe serves about 8 people.
- 75g soft light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 175g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp clear honey
- 50g flaked almonds
For the syrup
- 225g honey
- 2tbsp lemon juice
1. Preheat your oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4 and grease an 18cm round cake tin. Line with baking paper too.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add the butter, sugar, eggs, flour, baking powder, milk and honey. Beat together with a wooden spoon until all of the mixture is combined.
3. Spoon the cake mixture into your cake tin and smooth over the surface with the back of a spoon or a knife. Sprinkle over the flaked almonds until the top of the cake is covered.
4. Place in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, or well risen. Insert a skewer to see if it comes out clean.
5. Make the syrup by adding the honey and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Simmer over a low heat for 5 minutes.
6. When you remove the cake from the oven, drizzle over the syrup so it soaks through the cake. Leave it in the tin to cool for 1-2 hours before slicing and serving.