Happy 9th Birthday to my little brother Alfie! At the weekend, we had a big family get-together to celebrate the little man’s birthday!
We all turned into 9 year olds for the weekend with Quaser Laser, bowling, football and rounders! It was so much fun! I also had time to do a bit of baking and make him his favourite cake, chocolate and raspberry!
Chocolate and raspberries go together perfectly in my opinion. Whether it’s dark, milk or white chocolate, it always seems to work and tastes amazing!
This cake was delicious and after singing happy birthday to Alfie, everyone else seemed to think so too! Here’s the recipe:
175g soft unsalted butter
- 150g plain flour
- 50g cocoa powder
- 1tsp baking powder
- 150g light muscovado sugar
- 3 medium eggs, beaten
- 250ml sour cream
- 1tsp vanilla extract
100g milk chocolate, finely chopped
- 150g soft unsalted butter
- 125g cream cheese
- 175g sifted icing sugar
- Chocolate curls
- Fresh raspberries
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Grease and line a 20cm springform cake tin.
2. In a large bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and a pinch of salt.
3. In another bowl, mix the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Gradually add the beaten egg, mixing well after each addition. Add a little of the flour and cocoa mix if the butter mix looks like it’s starting to curdle. In one go, add the remaining flour mix as well as the sour cream and vanilla. Fold the mixture together until combined.
4. Spoon the cake mixture into your prepared tin and bake for 40-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin.
5. To make the icing. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Leave to cool for 15 minutes. In another bowl, add the butter and cream cheese and mix together until combined. Beat in the icing sugar and then the cooled chocolate.
6. When the cake has cooled remove it from the tin and cut in half. Use some of the icing to stick the two layers together. Ice the top and sides and smooth over with a palette knife. Decorate with chocolate curls and fresh raspberries.
Enjoy on it’s own or with ice cream!