With this beautiful weather we’ve been having, I decided to bake something light and fresh this weekend, perfect for a day in the garden with sunshine and vino. These Sunny Lemon Cupcakes (recipe by Tate and Lyle) were perfect!
These are delicious and super easy to make, ideal if you’re having a last minute BBQ! Below is the recipe:
For the cupcakes
- 185g butter, cubed and softened
- 185g Tate & Lyle Light Soft Brown Cane Sugar
- 185g self raising flour
- 3 eggs
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp milk
For the buttercream Icing:
- 225g butter, softened
- 450g Tate & Lyle Icing Cane Sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Handful of citrus peel shavings to decorate
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C Gas Mark 4 and line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cake cases.
2. In a large bowl, add the butter, soft brown sugar, flour, eggs, lemon zest, juice and milk together and beat well with a wooden spoon until soft and creamy.
3. Divide the mixture between your paper cases and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 20-25 minutes until well risen and golden. They should feel springy when lightly pressed. Transfer the cakes to a wire rack and allow to cool before icing.
4. To make the buttercream, beat the butter with a wooden spoon until it is very soft. Sift over the icing sugar and mix again. Add in the lemon juice and mix well until smooth.
5. Either add your buttercream mix to a piping bag and decorate with a swirl on top of the cakes, or spread it over the cakes with a palette knife. Decorate with the citrus peel shavings for a fresh and summery finish!