At the weekend I was up early baking these bacon and cheese muffins/cupcakes for breakfast!
The recipe described them as Bacon and Cheese Cupcakes however it just sounds a bit wrong and so many people have said to me that they sound horrible. I think they’re assuming there’s sponge cake in with the bacon and cheese! I don’t think my colourful cupcakes cases helped either, they were the only ones I had!
Anyway, these really are just savoury muffins, a bit lighter than a scone – perfect for breakfast or as a lunchtime snack. They might not look super tasty but I can promise you they are! I used smoked bacon and smoked cheddar in with these and they tasted lush, a tad too moreish though!
Here’s the recipe to make 12 …
- 75g smoked bacon, chopped (save a few bigger snippets to decorate)
- 275g self raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 100g cheddar cheese, grated, plus a little extra for decoration
- 6 tbsp sunflower oil
- 150 ml natural yoghurt
- 125 ml milk
- 1 egg
- 175g cream cheese
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C, 160°C fan, Gas mark 4 and line a 12 hole cupcake tray with cupcake cases.
2. Cut your bacon into pieces and fry until crispy. Leave to cool.
3. In a mixing bowl, add the flour, pinch of salt, cheddar and bacon. In a separate bowl, beat together the oil, yogurt, milk and egg then add it to the flour mixture. Mix well but don’t worry if it is a little lumpy.
4. Divide the mixture between the paper cupcake cases and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden. They should feel fairly firm on top to touch. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
5. In a bowl, give the cream cheese a mix so it is smooth and fluffy (add extra cheddar if you wish) and spread as you wish on top of the muffins. Sprinkle over some grated cheese and add a piece of the bigger snippets of bacon on top.
Simples! These can be kept in the fridge for up to 2 days.