Oreos in cake – the perfect combination! These are probably the tastiest cupcakes I’ve made to date and I always love having a surprise inside, don’t you?
Thanks to Paula over on Sweetharts Cakes & Bakes for this amazing recipe! This makes about 16-20 depending how generous you are with the mixture!
For the cupcakes:
- 200g plain flour
- 40g cocoa powder
- 240g caster sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 80g unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 200ml milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 16-20 Oreos (Depending how many cakes you can get out of the mixture)
For the buttercream icing:
175g soft butter
350g sifted icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp milk
4 crushed Oreos (Crush by putting in a food processor, or place in a bag and bash with a rolling pin. I used a pestle and mortar to crush them but it just didn’t get them small enough)
1. Preheat your oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4 and line a cupcake tray (you may need two) with paper cupcake cases. Then place a whole Oreo into each cupcake case.
2. In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt and give it all a mix.
3. In another bowl, beat the butter and sugar together. When it is combined, add the vanilla extract and add the eggs one at a time. Give it all a good mix slowly.
4. Add the milk and then the bowl of flour mixture to bring it all together.
5. Divide the cake mixture between the cupcake cases, covering the Oreos at the bottom of the cases. Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes until the cakes are springy but firm to touch and a skewer inserted comes out clean. Allow the cakes to cool on a rack before icing.
6. Make the buttercream icing by beating the butter, icing sugar and vanilla extract together until it is smooth and fluffy. If it is too thick, add the milk a little at time until you’re happy.
7. Add the crushed Oreos a spoonful at a time and mix around until the icing has a speckled look. Scoop your icing into a piping bag and decorate the cake with a pretty swirl or simply spoon it on to cover the top. Add half an Oreo on the top of each cupcake.
I hope you enjoy these delicious cupcakes as much as I did!