Merry Christmas Everyone! Below is an easy and fun recipe to make some funny looking Reindeer Cupcakes! These are great to take if you’re going to a Christmas party or buffet, and ideal if you need to amuse the kids on a rainy day whilst school’s out!
For the cupcakes:
- 150g butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 175g self-raising flour
- 25g cocoa powder
- 3 eggs
For the buttercream icing:
- 300g icing sugar, sifted
- 100g butter, at room temperature
- 40g cocoa powder, sifted
- 40ml whole milk
- Giant chocolate buttons
- Smarties (or M&Ms)
- Mini pretzels
- Writing icing (black or blue)
- Mini marshmallows, sliced in half
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas mark 4. Lay out 12 cupcake cases on a muffin/cupcake tray.
2. Mix the butter, sugar, flour and cocoa powder together in a bowl until combined. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs together with a fork. Add the beaten eggs slowly into the butter mixture and give it a good mix.
3. Scoop the cake mixture into your 12 cupcake cases, ensuring that each one is equal. If you have some leftover, prepare some more cupcake cases and bake these too, either at the same time or afterwards.
4. Bake the cupcakes in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Check on them after 15 minutes, they should be firm to touch. When ready, remove from the oven and leave them to cool on a wire rack.
5. Make the chocolate buttercream icing. Mix the butter, icing sugar and cocoa powder together with a wooden spoon until it is well mixed. Add the milk a couple of tablespoons at a time until it has all been used. Continue to beat until the icing is light and fluffy.
6. Spread over your cakes and start to decorate! Use marshmallows with black or blue writing icing for the eyes, a chocolate button and smartie for the nose and pretzels for antlers!