After being featured on This Morning this week, ‘Cloud Bread‘ has got everyone talking, and I can see why. Low-carb, gluten-free, high in protein, only 3 ingredients, and tasty – brilliant right?
OK, so it’s not technically a ‘bread’, but it’s a great alternative if you’re trying to cut down on your carb intake. When cooked they take on the form of a pretty cloud-like bun, not as robust as normal bread of course, but it’s melt-in-the-mouth texture makes up for that.
These guilt-free breads take no time at all and only require 3 ingredients; cream cheese, eggs and cream of tartar – easy peasy.
They’re perfect as a snack on their own or you can sandwich them together with your favourite fillings for lunch. We ate ours for lunch with cheese, spinach and tomatoes but they’d also be lovely for breakfast with some jam or marmalade on. Alternatively, you could add some herbs or spices and have them as a side dish with a curry.
This recipe makes about 10 cloud breads/buns but really depends on how big or small you want them.
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3 tbsp cream cheese
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 150°C and prepare a baking tray by either greasing it or using baking paper.
- In a medium sized bowl, add the egg yolks, cream cheese and salt and pepper. Mix until smooth.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg whites and cream of tartar together to form soft peaks.
- Beat a spoonful of the egg whites into the yolk/cheese mixture and then fold in the rest of the egg whites.
- Place large tablespoons of the mix onto a greased or lined baking tray and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden in colour.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool before serving.