Grain and dairy free, these paleo banana and blueberry muffins are perfect for breakfast or a mid-morning snack.
They’re super healthy too, with the main ingredients being mashed banana, coconut flour and coconut oil. Light, fluffy, packed with flavour and there’s no grains, no dairy and no sugar – bonus!
I spotted these on Multiply Delicious, a blog I used a lot last year when I was eating much healthier in preparation for my wedding. It’s full of great paleo recipes. For those of you who aren’t sure what the paleo diet is, it’s important to know that it isn’t really a diet, more of a lifestyle choice. Basically, the concept is to eat the foods your body was naturally designed to eat, following in the steps of our hunter-gather ancestors. It advocates eating whole, unprocessed foods like meat, fish, fruit, vegetables, nuts and seeds.
I adapted this recipe to add blueberries however you could swap the blueberries for walnuts or dark chocolate chips (I’ll be trying chocolate next time!). I also sprinkled some coconut over the top for an extra touch of sweetness.
The following recipe makes about 7 muffins:
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 70g coconut oil, melted
- 40g coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarb of soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Handful of blueberries
- Handful of desiccated coconut, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line a 12 cup muffin tin with muffin cases.
- In a large mixing bowl, blend the bananas with a hand mixer until they are completely mashed. Add the eggs, vanilla and coconut oil and mix again for about a minute.
- Next, add the coconut flour, bicarb of soda, salt and cinnamon to the wet ingredients. Mix again using the hand mixer until everything is combined. Use a spoon to fold in the blueberries. (If the mixture is a little dry you can a tbsp of coconut milk to loosen it slightly.)
- Scoop the mixture evenly into the prepared muffin cases and sprinkle a little of the coconut over each one. Transfer to the oven and bake for 20 minutes until the muffins look golden and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow the muffins to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Store in the fridge or in an airtight box for 2-3 days.